Your TENS machine is a fantastic pieces of equipment. However, incorrect application of electrodes can result in a less effective experience. Here are a few pointers of how to get the best results from your electrodes:
APPLICATION OF ELECTRODES
- Before applying or removing your electrodes ALWAYS ensure your unit is switched off.
- Clean the area where you wish to apply the electrodes with soap and water, rinse off and then dry well. You should have had the option of buying a pre-TENS application gel when you purchased your TENS machine, if you do not have this you can purchase it separately off the BabycareTENS.com site.
- BEFORE peeling the electrode pads off their packet, remove the wires from the TENS machine and attach the electrode connectors to them. A mistake is to attach the electrodes to you first, this is NOT a shortcut, they will be pulled and stretched and wear away fast.
- Grip the edge of the electrode and carefully peel it off the packet. Retain the packet in a clean bag for storage. Dirty packets will negatively affect your electrodes when placed back onto them.
- Place the electrodes with the wires hanging down to the appropriate area. When applying them, place the centre of the electrode onto the skin first and then smooth down the electrode edges. Attach all electrodes to your skin then attach the wires to the TENS machine.
REMOVAL OF ELECTRODES
- Switch off the TENS unit and disconnect the wires from the unit.
- Remove the electrodes by carefully peeling from the electrode edge.
- Return to the packet, centre first and smoothing the edges, just the same way you placed them on your skin.
- Disconnect the electrode connectors from the TENS machine’s wires.
- Store in a re-sealable bag in a cool place out of direct sunlight.
- If the adhesive becomes over-saturated, allow the electrodes to air dry in a refrigerator with the adhesive side up until the gel retains its tackiness and use your spares. To avoid this it is best to ensure that the skin is always fully dry.
- If the electrode adhesive appears too dry, add a few drops of water and allow to rest at room temperature until tacky.
If you have found this helpful or have any questions please feel free to comment.